The Brookhaven Sharks are a part of the Dallas Classic Swim League or DCSL. We swim against other teams that are a part of this league. There are 6 teams in this league: Brookhaven CC, Royal Oaks CC, Lakewood CC, Canyon Creek CC, Knights of Columbus, and Maxwell Creek.
Dual Swim Meets
Dual meets are typically held on Monday afternoon (see schedule section on the website for exact dates and times). These meets are typically between Brookhaven and one other team (sometimes, we do include up to four teams in a dual meet). Warm up times vary meet to meet. Swimmers MUST check in prior to warm ups to assure that they are not scratched from the meet. Meets (including warm ups) usually last about 5 hours. Brookhaven typically has 5 dual meets in a summer season.
Brookhaven attends a Championship Meet at the end of the season. The meet has prelims on one day and then finals on the next day. The top 16 swimmers and relays in each event advance to finals. Champs is a meet where we compete against all of the other teams in our league at one time. It is held at an indoor facility - typically Loos Natatorium (on Spring Valley). It is a very exciting meet and determines the Divisional Champion. All swimmers that have competed in 2 dual meets are eligible for Champs, and we want to have 100% attendance at Champs, if we can. This is Brookhaven's opportunity to SHINE! We encourage families to take their summer vacations before or after this meet.
Seeding and Heats
Swimmers are seeded according to their best time in the event. In an event there will be several heats. Before each event that a swimmer is swimming, a swimmer will get an entry card at the ready bench and then will bring it to the starting block. The lane assignment and heat will be on the card. After the swimmer swims, their time is written on the card and then entered into the computer system. The top 8 fastest swimmers, across all heats, will score points for the team.
Order of Events
A Meet has 80 events. Events start with the youngest girls in each classification and work up through age groups, alternating boys and girls events. Swimmers are allowed to enter up to four events, but no more than three individual events. Free Relays and Medley Relays are not individual events. The events for entry are as follows:
Feestyle Relays: Events #1 - 10
Freestyle: events #11 - 22
Backstroke: events #23 – 34
Individual Medley (IM): events #35 – 46
Breastroke: Events #47-58
Butterfly: Events #59 – 70
Medley Relay: Events #71-80
What to Bring to Meets:
- Plenty of towels - 2 to 4 depending on number of events.
- Warm clothing (June meets can be chilly out of the water).
- Chairs or blankets to sit on - for away meets.
- Cooler for fruit, water, snacks (cheese squares, nuts, almonds) etc. Please do not let swimmer eat ‘heavy’ prior to swim meet. No sodas - just water or a sport drink.
- Visors, sunglasses, team T-shirt, team cap and team suit.
- Deck of cards, board game, books - things to entertain swimmer while waiting for events (club is not responsible for lost items).
- Arrive early - at least 15 minutes prior to Shark’s warm-ups.
- Sharpie for writing events on hand.
At the Meet:
- Check in. Get your events and write with sharpie on your arm your events.
- Swimmers should sit with their age group. If you are a on a relay, there will be a white board with your relay names on it - sit by this white board with your relay teammates.
- Listen for your event and be ready to go to the "ready bench." It is ultimately the swimmer's responsibility to get to the ready bench and the blocks on time.
- All swimmers must talk to their coach before and after each event. Please allow time to talk with the coach and get to the ready bench.
- Make sure you check with the coach before you leave the meet. You may be on a relay!
- Please use trash cans for your garbage. We are a clean team!
- Have FUN!!